Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Radika, ah beggin’ yuh

The popular“Radika” (all four versions) songs, have been dominating Guyanese homes and bars of recent. It comprises of four songs in which the husband made accusations, the wife replied, the paramour had his say and the husband replied to the wife’s reply.
If the song (s) is reflection of a real situation, then it is clear that many things went wrong in the relationship. I am not going to take sides. However, the point is that having been together for sometime, there would have been signs of cracks in the relationship. These would have been spotted with experience, which could have led to some form of resolution given maturity. Whilst the popular song has been providing entertainment, one can only hope that if, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, people can relate to it, then, let it be an impetus to seek resolution in an effort to avoid physical abuse. Whilst the song may not be to my liking, I have seen countless others being gratified by its rhythm. Herein lies my point on good or bad taste.

That aside, the song (s) has achieved much in commercial entertainment. Let’s hope that in the effort to curb domestic violence it would achieve similar results. However, totally aside, I think the song is fast becoming distressful to the ear. It is heard everyday, everywhere, even on Good Friday it dominated. But then, others will argue if it is effective why complain. It has seemingly become the most preferred item on the musical landscape; it’s Radika all day; Radika for breakfast; Radika for lunch; Radika for dinner and Radika for all other snacks in between. Given the circumstances in the songs and having seen worse scenarios resolved, for the sake of my ears I can only wish that Radika and her husband can genuinely and not for anyone to be endangered, find some way of resolving their issues so that, if possible, they can “mek up”.

I am not in any way suggesting that this be done if abuses will continue. What has happened through the songs is that Radika and her husband are washing their laundry in public. While this may have its advantages in terms of helping others, currently, my eardrums are being challenged. So, if possible, a resolution can be found, I humbly ask for exploration. Please, Radika, ah beggin’ yuh; at least for my ears. I can’t take it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t event think that half the people that like this song knows exactly what the song is saying. People just like the rhythm and especially when they drink up dey rum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many people do you think really knows what this song is about? Many people just listen to the rhythm and dance because it sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete