Saturday, October 13, 2012

Planning on staying at the Guyana Pegasus? Think again!

 Photos of Pegasus Hotel Guyana, Georgetown
This photo of Pegasus Hotel Guyana is courtesy of TripAdvisor

 Pictures of Pegasus Hotel Guyana, Georgetown
This photo of Pegasus Hotel Guyana is courtesy of TripAdvisor

 Pictures of Pegasus Hotel Guyana, Georgetown
This photo of Pegasus Hotel Guyana is courtesy of TripAdvisor

 Pictures of Pegasus Hotel Guyana, Georgetown
This photo of Pegasus Hotel Guyana is courtesy of TripAdvisor

 Pictures of Pegasus Hotel Guyana, Georgetown
This photo of Pegasus Hotel Guyana is courtesy of TripAdvisor


A travel review auditor for the TripAdvisor website detail her ordeal after checking in at the Guyana Pegasus:

On the 19th April 2009, I checked into the Pegasus Hotel at about 10:30 am. I was assigned to room 607 on the sixth floor, as I hadn’t had much sleep the night before, I decided to get some sleep, I woke up around 6:00pm to my horror, to find myself completely bitten on my arms, neck and face which were exposed from my sleeping clothes.
I immediately took a shower and changed my clothes and went to the front desk in the lobby to show them, what had happened and to request that all the bed linens be changed!
I ensured that when housekeeping came, I was there and I saw them actually changed the bed linens.
I went back to the front desk, to request that something to get relief from the bites which I got, from sleeping in the bed or room 607. The person at the front desk put me unto the Evening manager who was on duty that night, Michael Vansluytman. Mr. Vansluytman took one look at the condition I was in and twisted his face and asked, what was it that bit me, to which I responded that I did not know, but I know was in the bed. His response to that was that, it has never happened at t he Pegasus before and that for all he knew I could have come to the hotel looking like that. Mr. Vansluytman said that if he did give me anything that would be like admitting that the hotel was at fault and liable.
I told Mr. Vansluytman that he could go ahead and inquire from the persons who had been on duty at the front desk to find out if I had really checked into the Pegasus Hotel looking like that. He then responded that he was not a pharmacist and he would not know what to recommend as he does not know what bit me and if he did give me anything it could make whatever the situation was worst. I told him that I needed to get something to relieve the situation; he then said he would see if he could get something.
After I had dinner at the hotel that night Mr. Vansluytman gave me Savlon, which is an antiseptic from minor cuts and bruises, seeing that was my only option, I took it.
The following morning 20th April 2009, my condition got worst and was brought to the attention of the Head Manger of Housekeeping (Unfortunately I cannot recall his name) and the Director of Sales and Marketing, Ms. Susan Isaacs and another woman who was at the front desk who actually saw me the day before when I checked into the Hotel. The woman was able to verify that she did see me check into the Hotel and that I certainly did not look in that condition when I checked into the hotel.
The Head of Housekeeping and Ms. Isaacs told me that they would immediately arrange another room for me to be moved to and to seek medical attention.
I went to DR.Balwant Singh’s (Private) Hospital at #314 East Street, Georgetown and did a ESR blood test and blood count, my total fees spent there was GY$ 8,100/US$ 40.50, the doctor there was able to confirm that from the results of the ESR blood test that it was defiantly not an allergic reaction I was having and he prescribed medication.
I then went to get a second opinion by another doctor, DR. Leslie I. R. Persaud at #38 Brickdam, Stabroek, Georgetown. Dr. Persaud also confirmed that from the results of the blood test it was definitely not an allergic reaction and in fact that I was bitten by a form of mites/bed bug. He told me these mites actually lay eggs inside of the skin and prescribed Loratadine 10mg and two ointments , Phenergan (promethazine) 2% and Scaboma cream (Treatment of Scabies & Pediculosis). Dr. Persaud explained that I received bites on the areas of my upper body which were exposed by my sleeping clothes to suggest that the mites were in the pillows on the bed. Total fees spent there was GY$ 6,700.00/US$ 33.50.

Back at the Hotel I did change rooms; I got a room on the fourth floor, room 406 and had to wash my clothes as some of the mites go unto my clothes. I told the Head Manger of Housekeeping and the Evening Manager (not the same evening manager as the day before)what the doctor had said, being a type of bed bug. The following morning, 21st April 2009 I also told the Director, Ms. Isaacs the diagnosis that Dr. Persaud had given, being a type of bed bug.
On the night of the 22nd of April 2009, while having dinner at the hotel’s dining area, the evening manager, Mr. Vansluytman saw me dining with a work colleague and came over to enquire how I was doing and to say that I look to be doing better and to enquire if the Savlon ,which he gave was able to give me relief. I informed him, that it did not give me any relief, and I informed him that I had actually seen two doctors and it had been confirmed by the doctor that I was actually bitten by a type of bed-bug. Mr. Vansluytman frowned his face and asked if they really proved it was a bed-bug and if they did a test to prove that. My colleague responded to Mr. Vansluytman that I had actually taken a Blood test which proved that it definitely was not allergies. Mr. Vansluytman then excused himself and left, bumping into our dining table clumsily.
On the 27th April 2009, my colleague and I spoke to the Director, Ms. Isaacs if I had to pay for the night of the 19th April 2009 seeing that I had the horrible incident in room 607, she informed us that she will not charge me for 1 night and that my laundry was free as I had to wash my clothes which mites went unto.
On the night of the 30th April 2009 my colleague and I decided to pay off our bills as we were checking out of the hotel the following morning; however we decided that we would speak to the Evening manager on duty, Mr. Vansluytman about the fact that the hotel did not compensate us for any of the medical bills incurred in having to do the blood test and doctors’ fees. Mr. Vansluytman responded that an incident like this has never happened at the hotel before and in good faith the hotel decided to offer me one night free and not to charge me for the laundry I had on my tab. He said that was all they could offer. My colleague and myself informed him that we would be informing other colleagues, who had plan to stay at the hotel of the incident, to which Mr. Vansluytman and a lady at the front desk with the nametag Donante responded with a shrug and said in a very carefree manner, “okay mam” .
When I got back home after leaving Guyana, I went to doctor, Dr. Alexander and showed her, pictures from the incident as well as the current condition of my skin and the medication I was prescribed by Dr. Persaud in Guyana. Dr. Alexander’s response was that from the medication I was prescribed and the fact that the medication worked to resolve the bites I received, she can infer that I was in fact, treated for having Scabies due to exposure to the mite, Sarcoptes scabiei.

1 comment:

  1. Susan Isaacs, the present General Manager who is Badal henchwoman, a local half-scalled putagee, usually take her dogs to sleep in the rooms. The dogs lice left on the sheet, pillows or on the bed. This bitchy woman sleeps with her dogs.

    ReplyDelete