Monday, September 12, 2011

Guyana & West Indies Legspinner named Emerging Player of the Year by I.C.C


Devendra Bishoo's performance in his first year in
international cricket has been recognised by the ICC


ESPNcricinfo: West Indies legspinner Devendra Bishoo has won the ICC Emerging Player of the Year award. He overcame competition from his team-mate Darren Bravo and the Pakistani pair of Wahab Riaz and Azhar Ali. The award was announced by England's Ian Bell, who won it in 2006.

Bishoo, 25, played five Test matches in the voting period and took 21 wickets at an average of 35.42. He also picked up 19 wickets at 21.57 in 11 ODIs.

"First of all I'd like to congratulate all the nominees for the ICC Emerging Player of the Year," Bishoo, who could not attend the awards ceremony, said. "I'd like to thank the ICC for giving me this award and I'm delighted to receive it. I'd like to thank my mother, my manager and all the players who have supported me throughout my career. I'm happy where I am and I am going to keep on working hard for the West Indies and continue to improve and keep playing good cricket."

Previous winners of this award are Irfan Pathan (2004), Kevin Pietersen (2005), Ian Bell (2006), Shaun Tait (2007), Ajantha Mendis (2008), Peter Siddle (2009) and Steven Finn (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment