Monday, August 29, 2011

Wikileaks Cable reveals the personal opinion of former U.S Ambassador

President Bharrat Jagdeo described claims in a confidential United States diplomatic cable recently released by the whistle-blowing site, Wikeleaks by then US Ambassador to Guyana, Roland Bullen that Guyana is a country heading for narco-statehood and his administration appeared unwilling to fight the drug trade as just his (Bullen's) personal opinion. He said his presidency and the country’s profile would be unaffected by Wikileaks’ revelations. “If I allow an American ambassador’s view to put a damper on my feeling or my image, then I wouldn’t be fit to run this country. This is their opinion about what is taking place in Guyana,” he said. Against the background of Bullen telling Washington that Guyana was heading for narco-statehood and government was lukewarm to the narco-fight, Jagdeo dismissed such assertions and questioned the credibility. “I just want it to come out because it’s interesting to see ambassadors’ perspectives… I find a lot of amusing; it is like ambassadors speaking, their opinion, nothing is substantiated so I’m looking forward to more fun with Wikileaks, “ he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment