Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cricketing legend Clive Lloyd resigns from West Indies Cricket Board

Former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd has resigned from the West Indies Cricket Board citing the controversy posed in relation to his role as Head of the Interim Management Committee to run local cricket.

In a letter dated February 14, 2012 to WICB President Julian Hunte, Lloyd adverted to the 46+ years he had served as a player and administrator in regional cricket and said that he had hoped that given his standing in the game, Hunte would have realized that his (Lloyd’s) role in the IMC was a sign that all was not well in Guyana’s cricket and that Hunte would support and cooperate with him.

Clive Lloyd

Clive Lloyd

“However instead I have found myself caught between my loyalty to my country and loyalty to the WICB.

“After much deliberation, with a sad heart I had no other option but to tender my resignation as Director of the Board. I hope that my resignation would act as a catalyst for the members of the Board to ask soul searching questions and take a hard look at what could be done differently to get our cricket back to the glory days.”

Lloyd has been at the centre of a furious battle between the government and the Guyana Cricket Board for control of the game. After several years of controversies among regional boards and within the GCB the government finally decided to move against the GCB and set up an IMC.

Below is the full text of the letter.

Dear Julian,

It is with deep regret that I tender my resignation to you and the West Indian Cricket Board (WICB).

I have served West Indies Cricket faithfully for over 46+ years both as player and captain (1966 – 1985) and as administrator from 1990 to the present time. I carried out my functions with integrity and passion for a sport that gave me my upward mobility.

As you are probably aware, I was recently appointed as Special Adviser on Sports to the President of Guyana. At the end of last year I was asked by the Government of Guyana to come home and head up an Interim Management Committee on Cricket, as a result of deep seated problems plaguing the GCB and a ruling from the Chief Justice. The issues facing the GCB I will not go into, however my love for the game and love for my country meant that I did not hesitate to answer the call.

As one of the most successful West Indian Captains in the history of our game, I have to say that I am very concerned not just about the state of cricket in my country but the state of West Indian cricket as a whole - the lack of accountability and consultation and limited discussion about the stagnant state of our Cricket.

Given my standing in the International cricketing world I would have hoped that my decision to answer my country’s call would have signaled a message to you that all was not well with Guyana’s cricket and therefore had your support and cooperation. However instead I have found myself caught between my loyalty to my country and loyalty to the WICB.

After much deliberation, with a sad heart I had no other option but to tender my resignation as Director of the Board. I hope that my resignation would act as a catalyst for the members of the Board to ask soul searching questions and take a hard look at what could be done differently to get our cricket back to the glory days.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Board Members for their support over the years. If at any time I could be of help, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards,

………………………………………

Clive H Lloyd CBE

2 comments:

  1. Correct move Clive ,as you said the west Indies board should have supported any action in the interest of cricket considering the sad position we are in.
    From:
    Stephen Bamfield former national player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guyana has to start thinking about it alone in cricket. after all we are an independent country.

    ReplyDelete